Celebrate your inner geek today! Geek Pride Day is an initiative which claims the right of every person to be a nerd or a geek. It has been celebrated on May 25 since 2006, celebrating the premiere of the first Star Wars film in 1977. Here’s 5 easy ways to celebrate:
1. Have a Star Wars film fest, nothing sets the tone for an epic Geek Pride Day like classic Star Wars films. And as Obi-Wan Kanobe would say, “May the force be with you.”
2. Discover new tech gadgets or apps for your existing ones. Nothing will make you feel “geekier”.
3. Wear your geekiest glasses and wear them with pride. Tape is optional.
4. Hang out with fellow geeks with pride. Afterall, it’s cool to be a geek. People view geeks as well-suited for desirable technical and computer careers, including blogging.
5. Always remember your rights and responsibilities as a geek. According to Wikipedia, Geek Pride Day comes with its own rights and responsibilities for Geeks:
Rights of Geeks:
1. The right to be even geekier.
2. The right to not leave your house.
3. The right to not like football or any other sport.
4. The right to associate with other nerds.
5. The right to have few friends (or none at all).
6. The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
7. The right to be out of style.
8. The right to be overweight and short-sighted.
9. The right to show off your geekiness.
10. The right to take over the world.
Responsibilities of Geeks:
1. Be a geek, no matter what.
2. Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
3. If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
4. Save any and all geeky things you have.
5. Do everything you can to show off your geeky stuff as though it were a “museum of geekiness.”
6. Don’t be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
7. Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
8. Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
9. Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
10. Befriend any person or persons bearing any physical similarities to comic book or sci-fi figures.
11. Try to take over the world!